Faculty of the Moon and Cosmic Law
Faculty of the Moon and Cosmic Law begins its inquiry into the laws beyond Mother Earth with a study of the 1967 Outer Space Treaty of the United Nations. It includes recognition that there is a growing body of law related to extraterrestrial jurisdiction. Space Law is a collection of domestic, international, and intergalactic agreements and guidelines that govern issues like space exploration, military and weapons use, and planetary commercial exploitation. This area of law will develop as further contact with extraterrestrials develop into an intergalactic body of treaties, laws, and regulations.
All courses and lectures will be held concurrently with Lunar College of Law, the first law school on the Moon. The selection of an initial lunar campus location and receipt of a deed for 100 lunar acres has been completed.
- Mitchel L. Winick (Dean) | email@example.com
- Elizabeth Xyr (Professor)| firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dena Dowsett (Professor)| email@example.com
Recommended Resources and Readings
This program is a self-paced introduction to the concepts and principles of Space Law. Please begin by reading and reviewing the following materials and submitting email questions to the Lecturers. Additional resources will be added as the program develops.
- International Institute of Space Law, 2022
- The European Space Agency, 2022
- The Global Legal Landscape of Space: Who Writes the Rules on the Final Frontier?, Sophie Goguichvili, Alan Linenberger, Amber Gillette, 2021
- NASA Wants to Beam a Message to Aliens, But It Could Give Away Humanity’s Greatest Secrets, Caroline Delbert, 2022
- Space Cases: The Weirdest Legal Claims in Outer Space, Adam Mann, 2012
- Space Law: the Present and the Future, Valentyn Halunko, 2019
- The Application of General International Law in Outer Space, Cestmir Cepelka, Jamie Gilmore, 1970
- Sharing the Benefits of Outer Space Exploration: Space Law and Economic Development, Edwin W. Paxson III, 1993
 1967 Outer Space Treaty of the United Nations: Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies, http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/spacelaw/treaties/introouterspacetreaty.html
 Space Law: Becoming an expert, http://www.nationaljurist.com/lawyer-statesman/space-law-becoming-expert
 Space: The final legal frontier, https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/08/31/space-final-legal-frontier/
 Communicating with Extraterrestrials, https://www.nsa.gov/Portals/70/documents/news-features/declassified-documents/cryptologic-spectrum/communications_with_extraterrestrial.pdf
 Since 1999 it has been possible to acquire a lunar property. Each deeded parcel comprises 100 acres and is located on the side of the Moon that can be seen from Earth. The community already consists of more than 50,000 lunar landowners. https://buyplanets.net/